This is another recipe taken from our recent Valentines Day in the Valley event, a wonderfully chocolatey, cruelty free cupcake, decorated with gold leaf.
Ingredients - Cupcakes
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Egg Replacer for the equivalent of one egg
- 1/2 cup of soy milk
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
Ingredients - Icing
- 1/2 cup butter substitute (we use Nuttelex)
- 2 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons of soy milk
Method - Cupcakes
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir. The mix will be a little dry.
- Pour the boiling water into the mix and stir until combined and a batter forms.
- Fill your patty pans two thirds full.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
Method - Frosting
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter for 5 minutes or until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry icing sugar and cocoa powder together.
- Add the dry mixture to the butter a tablespoon at a time and beat until combined.
- Now add the milk and beat until smooth.
- The icing can be piped on using a bag with a large nozzle or applied with a spatula or knife.
- We topped our chocolate icing with flakes of gold leaf.