This is a moist and delicious cake-style slice. You can bake the slice in a larger pan (for a thinner slice), or select a smaller pan for a thicker, cakey treat.
(These amounts make a larger sized slice, halve the amounts for a smaller size)
- 8 Weetbix crushed finely
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of butter substitute - melted, we used Nuttelex
- 2 cups of chopped dates - soak in some boiling water for ten minutes beforehand to soften the dates. Discard the water.
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- Another 2 cups of boiling water
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- The equivalent of 4 eggs using Orgran egg substitute
- Vegan Melting Chocolate - we used Sweet William Milk Chocolate Buttons
- Combine the crushed Weetbix, sugar and soda.
- In a second bowl, combine the egg substitute, melted butter, boiling water and dates, and mix.
- Mix the two bowls of dry and wet ingredients together.
- Add the self raising flour. Mix well.
- Line your slice tin with baking paper and pour in the batter.
- Bake your slice for approximately 45 minutes. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of your pan.
- When the slice has cooled, ice with the melted chocolate and set in the fridge.
- We left some baking paper on the bottom of the slice to keep in the moisture until eating.